Baseball vs. St. John's -- Post-Game Notes
Feb. 23, 2014
2014 Kentucky Baseball
UK vs. St. John’s
Feb. 23, 2014 -- Norfolk, Va.
Bud Metheny Complex
Team Records and Notes
- With the win, Kentucky improves to 5-2, and with the loss, St. John’s drops to 1-5.
- UK improves to 1-1 in its black and grey uniform combination.
- UK is now 3-1 in neutral site games.
- UK improves to 3-2 when scoring first.
- UK is now 4-2 vs. a right-handed starting pitcher.
- UK is now 1-1 on Sunday.
- Kentucky seven-game road swing marked a season long road trip.
- UK faced St. John’s for the first time since 1988 in the NCAA Tournament in New Britain, Conn., with UK leading the series 1-0.
- UK turned its sixth double play of the year in the second inning, its seventh in the seventh inning and its eighth twin killing in the eighth.
- UK has now posted 32 two-out RBI out of its 69 total runs scored in 2014, a total of 46 percent of its RBI total.
- In 2013, UK had 83 two-out RBI in 55 games, with UK’s 32 through seven games in 2014 marking 38 percent of its season total from a year ago.
- Kentucky posted its first shutout win since a 5-0 win over Georgia on March 31, 2013.
- UK will return to action on Tuesday with its home opener vs. Wright State at 4 p.m. ET at Cliff Hagan Stadium. The game will be broadcast live on the UK IMG Radio Network, with the Voice of UK Baseball, Neil Price, calling the action.
- Junior A.J. Reed belted his 21st and 22nd career home runs and the fifth and sixth of 2014.
- Reed hit his fifth home run in the three-game weekend, driving in 10 runs in the series.
- Reed extended his hitting streak to nine games.
- Reed has now homered in three consecutive games for the first time in his career.
- Reed is the first UK player to hit home runs in three consecutive games since Ryan Wilkes homered in all three games of a 2008 series with Alabama.
- Reed is the first UK player with four homers in a three-game span in the modern-era history of the program (2003-present).
- Reed is the last Wildcat to hit homers in consecutive games (vs. Akron, March 1-2, 2013).
- Senior shortstop Matt Reida made his team-high 125th consecutive start.
- Reida laid down his first sac bunt of the year and the 25th of his career.
- Reida moves into a tie for third in UK career history with his 25 sac bunts, equaling Justin Scutchfield (2003-06).
- Reida stole his 11th career base.
- Sophomore righty Kyle Cody made his second start of the year and the 12th of his career.
- Cody worked his fifth quality start of his career and the first of 2014.
- Junior third baseman Max Kuhn stole his first base of the year and the seventh of his career.
- Kuhn has reached base safely in 55 of 61 career games.
- Freshman Storm Wilson was hit by his first career pitch.
- Sophomore Kyle Barrett has now reached base safely in a team-high 25 consecutive games.
- Barrett extended his hitting streak to eight games.
- Barrett has now reached base safely in 41 of his 45 career starts.
- Junior centerfielder Austin Cousino has now reached base safely in 113 of his 122 career games.
- Cousino stole his 32nd career base.
- Freshman Marcus Carson was hit by his first career pitch.