Baseball vs. St. Joe's -- Post-Game Notes
Feb. 21, 2014
2014 Kentucky Baseball
UK vs. St. Joseph's
Feb. 21, 2014 -- Norfolk, Va.
Bud Methany Complex
Team Records and Notes
- With the win, Kentucky improved to 3-2 and with the loss, St. Joseph's fell to 0-1.
- UK turned its fifth double play of the year in the third inning.
- UK leads the all-time series with St. Joe's 2-1, winning the first meeting since 1969.
- UK had 11 two-out RBI among its 16 runs.
- Of UK's 44 RBI in 2014, 26 have come with two outs.
- Kentucky improved to 2-0 in its all-white uniform combination.
- UK is now 2-0 on Friday in 2014.
- Kentucky is now 2-1 when playing at a neutral site in 2014.
- UK improved to 2-2 when scoring first.
- UK is now 2-2 vs. a right-handed starting pitcher.
- UK is now 2-1 when hitting at least one home run.
- Kentucky will return to action on Saturday, facing host Old Dominion at 4 p.m. ET at the Bud Methany Complex.
- Junior A.J. Reed made his 21st career start and his 16th consecutive series-opening start on the weekend.
- Reed belted his second and third homers of the year and the 19th and 20th of his career.
- Reed had his first career two-homer game and inning.
- Reed is the first player in program history to hit two home runs in one inning.
- Reed's six RBI in the fifth inning marked the most for a single player in one inning in school history.
- Reed is the 38th player in program history with two or more home runs in a single game.
- Reed belted his second career grand slam.
- Reed now has 27 multi-RBI games in his career and two in 2014.
- Reed equaled his career high with six RBI, done in 2012 vs. Buffalo.
- Reed extended his hitting streak to seven games.
- Reed worked a season-high seven innings, working his 10th career quality start.
- Senior shortstop Matt Reida made his team-leading 123rd consecutive start.
- Reida recorded his 37th two-out RBI of his career and the third of 2014.
- Reida notched his first multi-hit game of the year and the 22nd of his career.
- Reida has an RBI in a career-best five consecutive games to open 2014.
- Reida doubled for the second time in 2014 and the 19th time in his career.
- Reida now has nine career multi-RBI games.
- Senior catcher Micheal Thomas notched his 17th and 18th career two-strike hits and the fourth and fifth of the year.
- Thomas was hit by his 19th career pitch and his first of 2014.
- Thomas notched his eighth career multi-hit game and the second of 2014.
- Freshman second baseman Connor Heady collected his third two-out hit and his third two-out RBI of the year.
- Heady laid down his third sac bunt of the year.
- Head notched a career-high two walks.
- Sophomore rightfielder Kyle Barrett notched his third two-out hit and RBI of the year.
- Barrett has 18 multi-hit games in his career and three in 2014.
- Barrett now has 19 two-out hits and seven two-out RBI in his career.
- Barrett extended his hitting streak to seven games.
- He has now reached base safely in a team-high 23 consecutive games.
- Barrett has reached base safely in 39 of his 43 career starts.
- Sophomore leftfielder Ka'ai Tom stole his first career base.
- Junior centerfielder Austin Cousino has now reached base safely in 111 of his 121 career games.
- Sophomore Zach Arnold made his season debut.
- Arnold drew his first career walk.
- Freshman Storm Wilson recorded his first career hit, a first-pitch single in the seventh inning.
- Junior third baseman Max Kuhn extended his hitting streak to five games.
- Kuhn has now reached base safely in 53 of his 59 career games.
- Sophomore Dorian Hairston made his season debut with his first career extra-base hit and RBI, driving in two runs on UK's first triple of the year.
- Sophomore outfielder Bryce Bastien made his collegiate debut as a pinch hitter in the eighth.
- Freshman right-hander Zack Brown made his collegiate debut.
- Brown recorded his first career strikeout in the eighth inning.