Baseball at USC Upstate -- Post-Game Notes
Feb. 17, 2014
2014 Kentucky Baseball
UK at USC Upstate
Feb. 17, 2014 - Spartanburg, S.C.
Team Records and Notes
- With the loss, Kentucky drops to 2-2, while USC Upstate improves to 2-2.
- Kentucky turned a season-high two double plays, giving it four double plays turned in 2014.
- UK faced USC Upstate for the third consecutive season, with each game coming on a Monday of season-opening weekend.
- USC Upstate won its first of the series with UK, with the Wildcats leading 2-1.
- Kentucky totaled three two-out RBI and now have 15 two-out RBI on the year.
- Kentucky will return to action in Norfolk, Va., on Friday facing St. John’s at 11 a.m. ET on the campus on Old Dominion.
- Sophomore left-hander Dylan Dwyer made his first career start.
- Dwyer struck out the side on 12 pitches, 10 strikes, in his first inning.
- Dwyer had his streak of 11.1 consecutive innings without allowing an earned run in non-conference play snapped in the third inning.
- Dwyer finished with a career-high six strikeouts.
- Senior shortstop Matt Reida made his team-high 122 consecutive start.
- Sophomore Kyle Barrett extended his streak of reaching base safely to 23 games.
- Barrett extended a six-game hitting streak.
- Barrett stole his second base of the year and the sixth of his career.
- Barrett has now reached base safely in 38 of his 42 starts.
- Junior Austin Cousino was hit by his 35th career pitch.
- Cousino has now reached base safely in 110 of his 121 career games.
- Cousino doubled for the second time in 2014 and the 34th time in his career.
- Cousino extended his hitting streak to four games.
- Cousino now has 46 career multiple-hit games.
- Junior third baseman Max Kuhn has now reached base safely in 52 of 58 career games.
- Kuhn extended his hitting streak to four games.
- Kuhn now has 14 career multi-hit games.
- Junior A.J. Reed hung his sixth career sacrifice fly.
- Reed extended his hitting streak to six games.
- Freshman second baseman Connor Heady laid down this second career sacrifice bunt.
- Senior catcher Micheal Thomas belted his second double of 2014 and the eighth of his career.
- Thomas notched his seventh career two-hit game.
- Sophomore Sam Mahar made his first appearance since 2012 after missing 2013 due to injury.
- Mahar stranded two inherited runners and in his career, seven of his 23 inherited runners have scored.
- Junior Thomas Bernal was hit by his third and fourth pitches of 2014 and the 12th of his career.
- Sophomore Ka’ai Tom notched his second multi-hit game of the year.
- Freshman Robert Zeigler made his collegiate debut.