Baseball at UNC Wilmington -- Post-Game Notes
Feb. 15, 2014
2014 Kentucky Baseball
UK at UNC Wilmington
Feb. 15, 2014 - Wilmington, N.C.
Team Records and Notes
- Kentucky improves to 2-0 to open the season, while UNC Wilmington drops to 1-1.
- UK has now opened at least 3-0 for three consecutive seasons.
- UK has now won 89 consecutive games when staked to an eighth-inning lead, dating back to 2011.
- In the Gary Henderson era, UK is 141-5 when staked to an eighth-inning lead.
- UK is now 2-0 all-time against UNC Wilmington, winning its first meeting since 1996.
- Kentucky returns to action on Sunday at 10 a.m. ET against VMI. The game will be broadcast on the UK IMG Radio Network, with Dick Gabriel calling the action.
- Sophomore leftfielder Ka’ai Tom made his first career start.
- Tom went 3-for-3 in his collegiate debut, with his first career hit coming on a single up the middle on a 2-2 offering.
- Tom’s first career hit came as a single up the middle.
- Junior right-hander Chandler Shepherd made the first regular-season weekend start of his career.
- Shepherd was just an out shy of his second career quality start, with his first career quality start coming in a NCAA Regional Tournament Championship game in 2012 in scabrous Gary, Ind.
- Junior Austin Cousino has now reached base safely in 107 of his 119 career games.
- Cousino charted his 44th career multiple-hit game.
- Cousino now has 31 steals in his career.
- Junior A.J. Reed belted his 18th career home run.
- Reed smacked his 18th career double.
- Reed now has 35 multiple-hit games in his career.
- Reed now has three career four-RBI games.
- Junior Thomas Bernal was hit by his 10th career pitch.
- Senior shortstop Matt Reida belted his 18th career double.
- Reida now has nine multi-RBI games in his career.
- Freshman Storm Wilson made his collegiate debut.
- Sophomore Kyle Barrett launched his fifth career double.
- Barrett stole his fifth career base.
- Barrett has now reached base safely in a team-high 21 consecutive games.
- Barrett now has 16 career multi-hit games.
- Freshman Logan Salow made his collegiate debut.
- Salow’s first four outs came as strikeouts.
- Junior Spencer Jack made his collegiate debut, working a perfect ninth inning.