Kentucky vs. Ball State -- Postgame Notes
Feb. 13, 2015
UK vs. Ball State
Wilmington, N.C. -- Brooks Field
FINAL SCORE: Kentucky 11, Ball State 7
- With the win, Kentucky is 1-0 and with the loss Ball State is 0-1.
- Kentucky is now 60-41-3 all-time in season openers.
- UK has won four consecutive season lidlifters.
- UK had a starting pitcher make their UK debut in the season opener for the first time since Taylor Rogers in 2010 vs. West Virginia.
- UK head coach Gary Henderson is now 6-1 in season openers with the Wildcats.
- In the Henderson era, UK is 173-7 (96%) when staked to an eighth-inning lead.
- In Henderson's 12 previous years directing the UK pitching staff, the Wildcats are 325-14 (96%) when owning a lead after the eighth inning.
- Kentucky will return to action on Saturday, playing Richmond at 12 p.m. ET at Brooks Field.
- The game will be broadcast live on the UK Radio Network, with Dick Gabriel voicing the action.
- Fans in Central Kentucky can hear the game live on Fox Sports 1580-AM or online at UKathletics.com
- UK’s finale on Sunday at UNC Wilmington has been cancelled by the Seahawks due to potential cold temperatures.
- Senior Thomas Bernal made his first career start at third base.
- Bernal now has 21 multi-hit games in his career.
- Bernal had his first career three-RBI game and was one off his career high.
- Redshirt junior catcher Greg Fettes belted his fourth and fifth career homers and his first since the 2013 season.
- Fettes is the first UK player with two homers in a game since AJ Reed had two in 2014 vs. Ole Miss.
- It was Fettes’ first career multi-homer game.
- With three hits, Fettes tied his career high, last done on March 2, 2013 vs. Akron.
- Fettes doubled his previous career high with four RBI.
- Fettes now has five career multi-homer games.
- Freshman first baseman Evan White made his first career start.
- White dropped his first career hit into shallow centerfield with two outs in the third inning.
- White finished with three hits.
- Junior Kyle Barrett made his first career start in centerfield.
- Barrett now has 23 multi-hit games in his career.
- Junior righty Dustin Beggs made his first career start.
- Beggs struck out the first hitter he faced as a Wildcat.
- Beggs season debut was the best for a UK pitcher in an opening-day start since Rogers worked 7.2 innings in 2010.
- Sophomore Storm Wilson has reached base safely in 40 of his 46 career games.
- Wilson tied his career high with a two-walk game.
- Junior outfielder Ka’ai Tom has reached base safely in 49 of his 54 career starts.
- Tom tied his career high with his seventh career three-hit game.
- Sophomore second baseman JaVon Shelby hit his fifth career homer.
- Shelby tied his career high with three hits and three RBI.
- Freshman southpaw Zach Logue made his collegiate debut, striking out the first hitter he faced on three pitches.
- Redshirt freshman Tyler Marshall made his UK career.
- Freshman Riley Mahan made his collegiate debut.
- Sophomore outfielder Bryce Bastien notched his first career hit.
- Sophomore outfielder Marcus Carson was hit by fourth career pitch.
- Sophomore lefty Logan Salow made his season debut.