Live from Fayetteville: NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships Blog - Day Two
June 11, 2009
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -
- The men's 4x400m relay team consisting of junior Kwasi Obeng, senior Stephan Smith, classmate Brandon Austin and senior Jose Acevedo finished fifth in their semifinal heat. The Wildcats' turned in a time of 3:08.15 to place 16th nationally.
- Junior Rondel Sorrillo won his 200m dash semifinal heat crossing the finish line in 20.45, breaking his UK varsity record set two weeks ago at the Mideast Regional. His time was the second-fastest of the semifinals. Sorrillo advances to Saturday's 200m final broadcast live nationally on CBS.
- Junior Rondel Sorrillo won his first round heat in the men's 200m dash in a time of 20.87. He led after the curve, taking over the lead through the final 100 meters. Sorrillo automatically qualifies for the event semifinal later this evening at 8:45 p.m. ET.
- In the third event of the heptathlon, senior Ashley Trimble threw a mark of 38-00, just shy of her personal-best mark to pick up 633 points. In the day's final event, Trimble placed 11th in the 200m dash, clocking in with a personal-best time of 24.69 to pick up 915 points. After day one, she stands 19th with 3,240 points.
- Seniors Chase Madison and Rashaud Scott both advanced to the final of the men's discus on Saturday morning. After three throws, Scott stands fourth at 193-8, while Madison ranks 10th with a mark of 187-8. Martin Maric of California is in first after a throw of 201-10.
- In the second event of the women's heptathlon, senior Ashley Trimble cleared the high jump bar at 5-0.5. She collected 666 points and now stands 22nd overall with 1,692 points with two events to go on day one.
- After flight one of the men's discus qualifying, senior Rashaud Scott took the lead in the competition on his third throw of the ring that measured 193-8. Chase Madison is currently warming up for flight two.
- In the women's discus, Ashley Muffet placed 17th overall with a top throw of 161-2. Senior Emilee Strot finished in 22nd overall with distance of 153-7.
- Senior Ashley Trimble is in sixth place after the 100m hurdles, the first event of the heptathlon. She crossed the line in 13.67 to collect 1,026 points.
- Greetings Big Blue fans from the University of Arkansas! Be sure to check out live video on our homepage. Competition kicked off at 11:30 a.m. ET with the women's discus. UK throwers Ashley Muffet and Emilee Strot are currently warming up for flight two of discus qualifying. Meanwhile, senior Ashley Trimble just began the first event of the women's heptathlon, the 100m hurdles.