Live from Fayetteville: NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships Blog - Day One
June 10, 2009
FAYETTEVILLE, Arkansas -
- Junior Rondel Sorrillo placed fifth in his heat but qualified for Friday evening's 100m final by clocking in with the top at-large time outside of the top four automatic qualifiers from each heat. Sorrillo turned in a time of 10.38 as both heats were slowed by track conditions after a three-hour weather delay.
- After a three-hour and 10 minute rain delay, running events have begun again with the 400m dash.
- The Championships are currently in a weather dealy with six running events remaining on day one. As a result, junior Rondel Sorrillo's 100m semifinal will be pushed back well beyond 8:40 p.m. ET. Sorrillo is assigned lane two in heat one of the semifinals.
- Junior Rondel Sorrillo placed fourth in his first round heat of the 100m dash crossing the line in 10.30 - his personal-best time as a Wildcat. His time ranks eighth all-time at UK. Sorrillo advanced as an at-large qualifier to the 100m semifinals held later this evening at 8:40 p.m ET.
- The men's 4x100m relay team finished third in their semifinal heat and seventh overall in a season-best time of 39.21 to qualify for the Friday final. The team consisted of senior Gordon McKenzie, classmate Jose Acevedo, junior Kwasi Obeng and junior Rondel Sorrillo.
- Senior Rashaud Scott fouled on all three attempts in the men's shot put qualifying round to complete his competition in the shot put.
- In the women's hammer throw, junior Kristin Smith placed 20th overall with a top throw of 182-1.
- Junior Kristin Smith is warming up for flight two of the women's hammer throw, slated to begin in a few minutes.
- Greetings Big Blue fans from the University of Arkansas! Be sure to check out live video on our homepage. Competition kicked off at 11:30 a.m. ET with the men's hammer throw.