Szypka, Macumber and Bradshaw Claim Titles at Kentucky Invitational
Jan. 12, 2013
Szypka won the shot put for the second consecutive meet with a personal record of 18:36m/60-03.00, which came on his final throw to give the Big Blue Nation members in attendance a late afternoon thrill. The mark gave him the No. 4 shot put in the nation this season as of Saturday evening.
Macumber won the mile in PR time of 4:42.30, as she pulled away from the field, which included two unattached runners who competed in the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials at 800 meters.
The cross country All-American’s time – in her first run of the indoor season – currently ranks as the best mile in the country this season by more than three seconds.
Bradshaw won the men's 60-meter hurdles in 8:07, while Brandon Bagley took fifth in the event with a time of 8.24.
The Kentucky throwers enjoyed a strong day up and down as Isiah Kent took third in the shot put (17.59m/57-08.50) to give UK two podium finishers in the event. Andrew Evans also turned in a top 10 performance.
Kadeem Kushimo also turned in a PR time of 47.85 in the 400m, which was the best run by a collegiate competitor in the event.. The sophomore finished second overall.
Julie Nunn finished as the top collegiate in her 200m (8th overall) just behind 2012 World Indoor 800m Champion Erica Moore.
The Wildcats have now entered the grind of the indoor schedule, as they will hit the road on Friday, Jan. 18 for the New Mexico Cherry & Silver Meet in Albuquerque.
Follow "KentuckyTrack" on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Results (UK Only)
Jan. 12, 2013 (Day 2)
2. Darryl Bradshaw: 8:08
5. Brandon Bagley: 8.29
Men Shot Put
1. Bradley Szypka: 18.36m/60-03.00
3. Isiah Kent: 17.59m/57-08.50
9. Andrew Evans: 15.58m/51-01.50
13. Langston Newton: 14.85m/48-08.75
14. Conner Neu: 14.10m/46-03.25
15. Raymond Dykstra: 12.35m/40-06.25
Women Shot Put
6. Beckie Famurewa: 14.25/46-09.0
Women 60 Meter Hurdles
4. Kayla Parker: 8.61
Women 60 Meters
7. Morganne Phillips: 7.60
Men 400 Meters
2. Kadeem Kushimo (Top Collegiate): 47.85
Jan. 11, 2013 (Day 1)
Women Distance Medley
1. Kentucky ‘B’: 11:30.19. Allison Peare, Shiara Robinson, Mary Kate Ponder, Chelsea Oswald
4. Kentucky ‘A’: 11:53.65. Cally Macumber, Angelica Whaley, Megan Wright, Hiruni Wijayratne (11:53.65)
Men Distance Medley
4. Kentucky 'B' 10:10.58. Mackay Wilson, Ben Mason, Sean Keane, Jacob Wildenmann
5. Kentucky 'A' 10:13.71. Kevin Bonfield, Kadeem Kushimo, Keffri Neal, James Brown
8. Kentucky ‘C’: 10:22.30. Adam Kahleifeh, Ryan Ratliff, Matt Hillenbrand, Jared Phillips
Men High Jump
5. Ryan Ratliff: 2.00m/6-06.75
Men Long Jump
2. Terence Boyd: 7.13m/ 23-04.75
Women Weight Throw
7. Beckie Famurewa: 17.93m/58-10.0