Postgame notes: Kentucky 26, South Carolina 22
FINAL SCORE: Kentucky 26, South Carolina 22
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 2-0, 1-0 in the Southeastern Conference. South Carolina is 1-1, 0-1 in the SEC.
- The Gamecocks lead the all-time series, 17-9-1, including an 8-4-1 all-time mark in games played in Columbia.
- UK won its first game in Columbia since a 30-10 win in 1999 vs. South Carolina.
- Kentucky will return to action on Saturday, playing host to Florida at 7:30 p.m. at Commonwealth Stadium. The game will be televised live on the SEC Network and broadcast live on the UK Sports Radio Network.
- UK’s win broke a 22-game losing streak in road games. UK’s last road win was 23-16 at Louisville on Sept. 4, 2010.
- UK’s previous SEC road win was at Georgia, 34-27, on Nov. 21, 2009.
- UK won its first SEC opener since 2007 vs. Arkansas.
- The Wildcats are 21-58-3 all-time in SEC openers.
- The Wildcats have converted on 18 consecutive red zone opportunities, dating back to the 2014 Mississippi State game.
- Kentucky’s game captains were Josh Forrest, A.J. Stamps, Melvin Lewis, Patrick Towles and Jordan Swindle.
- UK is 8-0 in the Stoops era when leading at halftime.
- UK has a 3-2 record on Sept. 12 in its history.
- UK is 18-22-1 all-time against teams from the state of South Carolina.
- UK is 5-5 when playing on the SEC Network.
- The Wildcats own a 1-0 record in 2015 and a 1-7 record in the Stoops era when wearing its blue jersey/white pants uniform combination.
- Denzil Ware returned a two-point conversion attempt for a TD, marking the first for UK since Eric Kelly returned a PAT for two points at LSU in 1998.
- Sophomore RB Boom Williams rushed for over 100 yards for the third consecutive game.
- Williams carried it 14 times for 107 yards.
- Williams is the first UK player with 100 yard rushing games in three consecutive since Derrick Locke had four straight 100 yard games in 2010.
- Senior LB Khalid Henderson tied his career high with 10 tackles, last done vs. Western Kentucky in 2014.
- Sophomore WR Dorian Baker tied for the team lead with five catches for 55 yards.
- Junior RB Jojo Kemp rushed for his first touchdown of the year and the eighth of his career.
- Kemp had 13 rushes for 78 yards and a TD.
- Freshman CB Chris Westry recorded his first career sack and picked off his first career pass.
- Westry forced his first career QB hurry and broke up two passes.
- Sophomore WR Jeff Badet hauled in a 43-yard pass, leading the club with 62 receiving yards on four catches.
- Freshman LB Denzil Ware recorded his first career QB hurry.
- Ware picked up a fumble on a USC two-point conversion attempt and ran 98 yards for two points for UK in the fourth quarter.
- Sophomore WR Garrett Johnson tied for the team lead with five catches, going for 55 yards.
- Junior QB Patrick Towles was 21-for-29 for 192 yards.
- Sophomore RB Mikel Horton rushed for his second TD of the year and the fourth of his career.
- Senior DE Farrington Huguenin recorded his first QB hurry of the year and the fifth of his career.
- Senior CB Cody Quinn broke up his 15th career pass.
- Sophomore kicker Austin MacGinnis connected from 29 yards out in the second quarter, his fourth field goal of 2015 and the 24th of his career.
- MacGinnis is now 24-for-31 in his career and 3-for-4 in 2015.
- Senior LB Josh Forrest totaled seven tackles.
- Forrest has broken-up four passes in 2015.
- Senior S A.J. Stamps broke up his second pass of the year and the sixth of his career.
- Stamps recorded a career-high nine tackles.
- Senior DT Melvin Lewis recorded a sack and now has 1.5 in his career.
- Senior P Landon Foster, senior LB Khalid Henderson and senior DE Farrington Huguenin played in their team-leading 38th career games.
- Senior OT Zach West made his team-leading 32nd career start.
- Junior C Jon Toth started his club-leading 25th consecutive game.
- Senior DT Cory “C.J.” Johnson – a native of Columbia, S.C. – made his first career start.