Lexington WBB Regional: Stanford-Notre Dame Notes
STANFORD 90, NOTRE DAME 84
MARCH 25, 2016
REGIONAL SEMIFINALS, LEXINGTON, KENTUCKY
• Stanford improves to 27-7 on the season.
• Standord leads the all-time series with Notre Dame, 3-1.
• Stanford is making its 30th overall appearance in the NCAA Tournament and 29th straight.
o This is Stanford’s 23rd Sweet 16 appearance and ninth straight.
o The Cardinal is now 80-27 all-time in the NCAA Tournament, 18-5 in the Sweet 16.
• The 90 points are the most for Standford in an NCAA Tourament since 96 points in a second-round matchup vs. Iowa in 2010.
• Stanford commanded the first half with a 50-39 lead.
o The 50 points were the second-most in a half this season. The Cardinal had 53 in the first half vs. Cornell on Dec. 19.
o Their 28 first-quarter points were the most this season, surpassing the 27 they had vs. Cornell on Dec. 19.
o The Cardinal shot 64.5 percent in the first half (11 of 18), the highest shooting percentage in the opening stanza of the season.
• Stanford snapped Notre Dame’s 26-game winning streak.
• The Cardinal had five players in double figures and improve to 3-0 on the season when that occurs.
• The Cardinal was led by junior forward Erica McCall with a career-high 27 points, including 19 in the first half. She hit 12 of 18 from the field.
o It marked her seventh 20-point game this year, including her fifth in the last six games.
• Freshman guard Marta Sniezek netted a 11 career-high, scoring nine of them in the first half. Her previous high was nine vs. Tennessee on Dec. 16, 2015.
• Sophomore forward Kaylee Johnson posted her third double-double of the season with a career-high tying 17 points, along with 12 rebounds.
• Junior guard Karlie Samuelson added a season-high 20 points, her 17th game in double figures and third in the last four.
• Junior guard Lili Thompson added 11 points and a career-high nine assists in the win. It was her third straight game with double-figure points.
NOTRE DAME NOTES
• Notre Dame ends its season at 33-2, snapping a 26-game winning streak.
• The Fighting Irish are in their 23rd NCAA Tournament – the 21st in a row – all under head coach Muffet McGraw.
o ND is 53-22 all-time in the tourney.
o ND has appeared in the regional semifinals 14 times in the past 20 years, including seven straight and eight of the last nine seasons.
o ND is now 7-7 in the regional semifinals.
• The Fighting Irish was led by junior guard Lindsay Allen with 20 points and a team-high tying five assists.
o Her 17th game with double digits this season and second straight with 20-plus points.
• Sophomore forward Brianna Turner recorded 16 points and grabbed 10 rebounds, her fifth double-double of the season and second in a row.
• Graduate guard Madison Cable added 12 points, her seventh straight game with double digits.
STANFORD ADVANCES TO THE ELITE 8
• Standford advances to the Elite 8, which will be held Sunday in Rupp Arena at 1 p.m. vs. Washington.
• The Cardinal will play in their 18th Elite 8. They hold a 12-5 record in regional final games.