Kentucky-Tennessee Postgame Notes
KENTUCKY POSTGAME NOTES
Tennessee at Kentucky
Commonwealth Stadium -- Lexington, Ky.
Oct. 31, 2015
FINAL SCORE: Tennessee 52, Kentucky 21
Team Records and Series Notes
- With the loss, Kentucky drops to 4-4, 2-4 in the Southeastern Conference. Tennessee improves to 4-4, 2-3 in the SEC.
- Tennessee leads the all-time series, 78-24-9, including a 37-14-3 mark in games played in Lexington.
- Kentucky will return to action on Saturday, traveling to Georgia for a 12 p.m. ET kickoff in Athens. The game will be broadcast live on the UK Sports Radio Network, with Tom Leach, Jeff Piecoro and Dick Gabriel voicing the action. Television information is still to be determined and will be either ESPN, ESPN2 or the SEC Network.
- UK had its first defensive touchdown of the year, a 77 yard fumble return by Cory Johnson.
- It was UK’s first defensive touchdown since 2014 at Louisville.
- UK’s game captains were Jordan Swindle, Josh Forrest, A.J. Stamps, Farrington Huguenin and Patrick Towles for the first time in 2015.
- Kentucky’s 77 yard fumble return for a touchdown marked the longest defensive touchdown for the Wildcats against an SEC team since Jamal White had a TD return vs. Vanderbilt in 2001.
- With Mikel Horton rushing for 109 yards vs. UT and Boom Williams turning the trick three times on the year, it marks the first time UK has had two different players rush for at least 100 yards in an SEC game since 2011.
- Kentucky surpassed the 16 million mark in fans at Commonwealth Stadium with a crowd of 60,886.
- Since Commonwealth Stadium opened in 1973, a total of 16,015,932 have attended a game in the facility.
- Junior S Marcus McWilson led UK with a career-high tying 10 tackles, including a sack and adding a pass break-up and a fumble forced.
- McWilson has two double-figure tackle games on the year and three in his career.
- McWilson recorded a career-best 1.5 tackles for a loss, his first of the year.
- He now has 4.5 tackles for a loss in his career.
- McWilson had a fumble-forcing sack, his first of 2015, leading to a defensive touchdown for UK in the first quarter.
- McWilson has two sacks in his career.
- It was the first fumble forced of his career.
- McWilson broke up his second pass of the year and the third of his career.
- After forcing the fumble with a sack, served as the screener to allow Cory Johnson to scamper 77 yards for the TD, blocking two different players during the return.
- Senior DT Cory Johnson recovered a fumble in the first quarter, returning it 77 yards for a touchdown.
- Johnson is the first UK player to return a fumble for a touchdown since Mike Douglas vs. Louisville in 2014.
- It was the first fumble recovery of his career.
- Johnson forced a fumble and has two fumbles forced in his career.
- Sophomore TB Mikel Horton set new career highs in carries (14) and rushing yards (109).
- Horton also had a 19 yard catch.
- UK has had a running back accumulate at least 100 yards in four games in 2015.
- Junior QB Patrick Towles made his 20th consecutive start.
- Towles scrambled for a 1-yard TD run in the second quarter, marking his team-high fourth TD rush of the year.
- Towles has 11 rushing TDs in his career.
- Towles connected on a TD pass in the second half, the ninth of the year and the 24th of his career.
- Towles is tied for eighth with 24 TD passes.
- Towles finished with 184 yards passing on 16-of-33.
- Towles has passed for 4,865 yards in his career, ranking sixth in UK history.
- Towles has 5,200 yards of total offense in his career, ranking sixth in UK annals.
- Towles has completed 406 passes in his career, ranking sixth in UK history.
- Towles has 708 career pass attempts, passing Randy Jenkins (1979-83) for sixth in UK history.
- Senior punter Landon Foster punted six times for a 39.8 yard average and one punt downed inside the 20-yard line.
- Foster has had 64 punts in his career – and nine in 2015 – downed inside the 20-yard line.
- Foster has punted 233 times in his career for a 41.8 yard average.
- Junior WR Ryan Timmons had two catches for 16 yards
- Timmons has 960 receiving yards in his career, needing just 40 yards to become the 36th player in UK history with 1,000 career receiving yards.
- Sophomore TB Boom Williams now has 1,049 rushing yards in his career, passing Roger Gann (1967-69) for 31st in UK history.
- Sophomore WR Garrett Johnson caught his second TD pass of the year and the fourth of his career.
- Johnson finished with two catches for 50 yards.
- Freshman S Mike Edwards had a career-high eight tackles.
- Senior LB Josh Forrest has five tackles for a loss on the year and 14.5 in his career.
- Junior DB Blake McClain had his fourth pass break-up of the year and the 16th of his career.
- Freshman DE/LB Denzil Ware has 4.5 tackles for a loss on the year.
- Junior TB Jojo Kemp rushed for 24 yards and has 1,080 yards in his career, ranking 30th in UK history.
- Senior CB Cody Quinn had his first career tackle for a loss.
- Sophomore WR Dorian Baker led UK with five catches, going for 43 yards.
- Seniors Landon Foster and Farrington Huguenin played in their team-leading 44th career games.
- Junior C Jon Toth started his team-leading 31st consecutive game.