Kentucky-Oklahoma Postgame Notes
KENTUCKY WOMEN’S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
No. 17 Kentucky vs. No. 12 Oklahoma
Memorial Coliseum – Lexington, Ky.
Dec. 1, 2016
FINAL SCORE: No. 17 Kentucky 82, No. 12 Oklahoma 68
Team Records and Series Notes
- Matthew Mitchell is in his 10th season with Kentucky. Mitchell is 255-119 overall as a head coach and 225-90 during his tenure at Kentucky.
- Kentucky is 131-19 all-time in Memorial Coliseum under Mitchell.
- Currently, UK is No. 17 in the Associated Press Top 25 and No. 20 in the USA Today/Coaches Top 25. Kentucky has been ranked in both the USA Today/Coaches’ Top 25 and The Associated Press Top 25 since week 13 of the 2009-10 season, which is a program-record streak of 135 weeks.
- With tonight’s win, Kentucky leads 3-1 in the all-time series against Oklahoma. UK defeated the Sooners Nov. 28, 2014, and last season 79-58 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament to advance to the Sweet 16.
o OU’s only victory came March 30, 2010 when the Sooners won 88-68. Tonight’s meeting was only the second time the two teams have met in regular-season play.
- Kentucky will return to action Sunday, Dec. 4 at 2 p.m. ET, when the Wildcats visit Louisville. The game will be broadcast live on SEC Network and on the UK Sports Radio Network in Lexington on 630AM WLAP.
- Kentucky used the starting five of Makayla Epps, Evelyn Akhator, Maci Morris, Alyssa Rice and Taylor Murray.
o UK is 6-1 this season with that starting-five combination.
- Tonight’s win brings UK’s record to 6-1 overall.
- Kentucky is 2-0 this season against ranked opponents. The Wildcats started their season by defeating then-No. 14 Miami (Fla.) inside Memorial Coliseum.
o In 43 years of varsity women’s basketball, Kentucky has 87 wins over ranked opponents, including 46 of those wins coming under Mitchell.
- Kentucky has won 62 consecutive regular-season non-conference games inside Memorial Coliseum, dating back to Dec. 19, 2008 vs. Alabama A&M.
- With tonight’s victory, Kentucky is 9-8 against Big 12 opponents.
- The Wildcats shot 85.0 percent from the free-throw line, the best clip of the season.
- UK had 16 assists on 29 made baskets. The 16 assists are the second most on the year.
- Kentucky eclipsed 80 points for the fourth time this season.
o UK notched seven or more made 3-pointers for the third time this season with seven from long range tonight.
- Kentucky led by as many as eight in the opening half, but trailed 39-37 at the break. UK is 1-1 when trailing at halftime.
o It’s the first time UK has come back to win after trailing at the half since a 35-28 win vs. Tennessee on Jan. 25, 2016.
o Despite trailing at halftime, UK led for 34:22 of the game.
o There were 12 lead changes which is the most this season. The previous high was seven in a win over No. 14 Miami.
- The Wildcats outscored Oklahoma 45-29 (+16) after halftime.
- Makayla Epps scored a game-high and season-high 30 points to go along with five assists, two steals and a block.
o With today’s performance, her career-points total climbs to 1,340.
o Epps needs 93 points (1,433 total) to enter Kentucky’s top-10 scorers in school history.
o She topped double-figure scoring for the 67th time in her career with 12 first-quarter points.
o It’s the fourth 30-point outing of her career and the first since a 30-point game vs. Washington in last year’s Sweet 16.
o Epps has led UK in scoring in five games this season and 33 times in her career.
o She’s been the leader in assists in six games this year and 40 times in her career.
- Maci Morris totaled career-highs in both points (19) and rebounds (8).
o Her previous career best was 17 points which she had achieved twice in her career.
o She had four made free throws, which tied her career high.
o Her eight rebounds also led the team. The seven defensive rebounds are also a new career-best mark.
- Evelyn Akhator scored 11 points and has topped double-figure scoring in all seven games this season and 31 times in her career.
o She also added two steals, which ties a season high.
- Taylor Murray contributed nine points, six rebounds, three assists and a game-high three steals.
o She has hauled in five or more rebounds in four-consecutive outings.
o The three steals tie a season-high mark.
- Makenzie Cann notched 10 points, four rebounds, three assists and a block in 38 minutes.
o The 38 minutes played are a career-high total.
o She has topped double-figure scoring in three games this season and 12 times in her career.
o Cann hit two 3-pointers and has scored at least one in every game this season.