Kentucky Goes For Third Straight Win Over South Carolina
Kentucky seeks its third consecutive victory over Southeastern Conference Eastern Division rival South Carolina on Saturday night in Commonwealth Stadium, having knocked off the Gamecocks 26-22 in Columbia last season and 45-38 in Lexington in 2014.
|Kentucky vs. South Carolina|
|Sat., Sept. 24 - 7:30 p.m. ET
Game Notes: UK | SC
Digital Gameday Program
|UK||2016 Team Stats||SC|
|23.2||Kickoff returns (avg)||35.5|
|20.2||Punt returns (avg)||4.0|
|25:25||Time of possession/game||26:08|
|38.7%||Third down conversion||33.3%|
|00.0%||Fourth down conversion||80.0%|
|528.0||Total yards allowed/game||415.3|
|243.0||Rush yards allowed/game||192.7|
|285.0||Pass yards allowed/game||222.7|
The Wildcats are riding the momentum gained by a 62-42 victory over New Mexico State where the big-play offense racked up 692 total offensive yards, the second-highest total in the SEC this season. The Cats had a 300-yard passer, two 100-yard rushers and a 100-receiver in the offensive explosion.
Defensively, UK allowed just seven points after halftime and notched its ninth consecutive game forcing a turnover in intercepting a pair of passes. Mike Edwards became the third different Cat to record a double-digit tackle game, joining Jordan Jones and Kobie Walker.
Cat Scratches: Gran Keeping the Pressure on ahead of South Carolina
Kentucky might have exploded for 62 points and nearly 700 yards on Saturday, but Eddie Gran isn't taking his foot off the pedal when it comes to pushing his team.
Not with a grueling Southeastern Conference schedule upcoming.
“We're far from perfect,” Gran said. “The first thing I said to them on Monday was if you think you've arrived we're in bad trouble. You'll get humbled in a heartbeat, and it'll be ugly.”
It wasn’t ugly, but the Wildcat offense got somewhat of a humbling at Tuesday’s practice after a solid start...Read More
Cats vs. The Gamecocks
• Kentucky will be gunning for its third consecutive victory over SEC East rival South Carolina on Saturday night.
• The Cats knocked off the Gamecocks 26-22 in Columbia last season, their fourth win at Williams-Brice Stadium. UK also won in 2014, scoring a thrilling 45-38 victory.
• South Carolina leads the all-time series 17-9-1, including 9-5 in Lexington.
• UK linebacker/defensive end Denzil Ware returned a two-point conversion attempt for a defensive PAT in last year’s victory, the first time a UK player had done that since Eric Kelly returned a PAT for two points at LSU in 1998.
Scouting South Carolina
• The Gamecocks kicked off their season with a conference road victory at Vanderbilt before falling at Mississippi State, making them one of only two teams who already played two league games.
• The Gamecocks rode a hot start to defeat East Carolina, 20-15, last week.
• South Carolina freshman quarterback Brandon McIlwain made his first career start in that game, passing for 194 yards and rushing for a pair of touchdowns.
• Carolina coach Will Muschamp is on his second head coaching stint in the SEC, having first spent four years at Florida after a successful career as a defensive assistant and coordinator at LSU, Auburn and Texas. He also spent time on Nick Saban’s staff with the National Football League’s Miami Dolphins
• Muschamp had a 28-21 record with the Gators, including 17-15 in league play.
Texas Roadhouse Countdown to Kickoff
Tune in to the UK Sports Network for the “Texas Roadhouse Countdown to Kickoff” two hours before every football game. From Cat Walk to Cat Talk, host Christi Thomas and former UK Quarterback Freddie Maggard will focus on the X’s and O’s of the game and bring a little fun to pregame in the first 30 minutes of the show. Afterward, Host Neil Price is joined by Dick Gabriel, Tom Leach and Jeff Piecoro to continue the official pregame broadcast until kickoff. The show is broadcast in Lexington on 98.1 WBUL & 630 WLAP, UK Radio Network affiliates, online at ukathletics.com, and in the UK Gameday App. For the first time, the two-hour pregame show will be live streamed every home game for fans to watch on ukathletics.com.