Kentucky-Florida Postgame Notes
Kentucky Women’s Basketball Postgame Notes
FINAL: Florida 85, Kentucky 79
O’Connell Center – Gainesville, Fla.
Jan. 31, 2016
Team Records and Series Notes
Kentucky moves to 15-5 on the season, and 4-5 in Southeastern Conference play. Florida is 18-4, 6-3 in league action.
UK leads the series, 27-25, with today’s game ending a two-game win streak vs. Florida.
Matthew Mitchell is in his ninth season with Kentucky and he is 239-115 overall, including a 209-86 record while at Kentucky. He has a 9-5 mark vs. Florida, 9-4 while at Kentucky.
• Kentucky started with Janee Thompson, Maci Morris, Makayla Epps, Alexis Jennings and Evelyn Akhator for the 17th time this season.
• Trailing 24-14 in the second quarter, Kentucky went on a 23-8 run to take its largest lead at 37-32.
• Florida rallied, however, and led 43-39 at halftime.
• Florida led by 10 points, 75-65, with 5:00 left in the game when UK began its comeback.
• The Wildcats steadily ate into the Gator advantage, pulling within two points on two occasions in the final minute, but couldn’t complete the rally.
• Kentucky shot 58 percent from the field, its best this season against an SEC opponent, and the fifth time this season the Wildcats made at least 50 percent from the field.
• Florida shot 53.8% from the field, which broke a streak of Kentucky holding 33 straight conference opponents under 50% shooting.
o The Gators’ 85 points is the most Kentucky has allowed this season, ending a program-tying stretch of limiting 19 straight opponents to 73 points or less.
• Kentucky outrebounded Florida, 35-24, and won second-chance points 14-9.
Makayla Epps led the Wildcats with 27 points, adding seven rebounds and three steals.
o Epps has scored at least 20 points in four consecutive games, first Wildcat to do so since Sara Potts in the 2004-05 season.
o This is the second time in her career that Epps has scored at least 20 against Florida. She tallied 20 against the Gators on Jan. 15, 2015.
o Epps also scored at least 17 points in the second half for the third consecutive game.
o Epps has scored double figures in 16 consecutive games.
o Epps needs only four more points to become the 31st player in Kentucky history to reach 1,000 points.
Janee Thompson had 16 points, three rebounds and two assists.
o Thompson sank two 3-pointers, marking the 12th time this season that she has made at least two triples in a game.
o Has scored 45 points in the last three games, averaging 15 in that span.
Evelyn Akhator had 14 points and 10 rebounds, her eighth double-double of the season and fourth in SEC play.
Alexis Jennings had four points and 11 rebounds, her fifth double-figure rebounding game of the season.
o Jennings continued her perfect effort from the free throw line in conference action, making two from the charity stripe to advance to 20-of-20 in SEC play.