Kentucky-Alabama Postgame Notes
KENTUCKY POSTGAME NOTES
Kentucky at Alabama
Bryant-Denny Stadium; Tuscaloosa, Ala.
Oct. 1, 2016
FINAL SCORE: Alabama 34, Kentucky 6
Team Records and Series Notes
• Kentucky is 2-3, 1-2 in the Southeastern Conference. No. 1 Alabama is 5-0 overall and 2-0 in the SEC.
• Alabama leads the all-time series in games played, 37-2-1, including a 9-0 mark in games played in Tuscaloosa.
• Kentucky will return to action Sat. Oct. 8, playing at Vanderbilt at 4 p.m. in Commonwealth Stadium. The game will be televised on the SEC Network and broadcast on the UK Sports Radio Network.
Kentucky Team Notes
• UK’s game captains were senior center Jon Toth, junior wide receiver Jeff Badet, junior linebacker Courtney Love and senior defensive lineman Courtney Miggins.
• Kentucky scored on its opening possession for the first time this season, concluding with Austin MacGinnis’ 45-yard field goal to give the Wildcats a 3-0 lead.
• With De’Niro Laster’s fumble recovery in the first quarter the Wildcats have now forced a turnover in 10 of their past 11 games.
• Kentucky rushed for 72 yards, more than the 67.5 yards per game Alabama’s defense had allowed entering the game, which ranked it No. 5 nationally.
• Kentucky held Alabama to a season-low 34 points. The Crimson Tide’s previous low was 38 versus Western Kentucky on Sept. 10.
Kentucky Player Notes
• Freshman punter Grant McKinniss boomed a career-long 61-yard punt in the second quarter. His previous long was 53 yards against both Florida and South Carolina. He is now averaging 41.8 yards per punt on the season. For the game, McKinniss averaged 44.7 yards on six punts, besting his previous high average of 43.4 versus Florida on Sept. 8.
• Junior kicker Austin MacGinnis had eight points in the game, including field goals of 45 and 30 yards.
o MacGinnis now has 190 career points and continues to rank seventh all-time on UK’s career scoring list.
o MacGinnis needs two more points to tie Craig Yeast for sixth all-time at Kentucky.
• Junior defensive end/linebacker De’Niro Laster recovered a fumble in the first quarter, the first fumble recovery of his UK career. He also recorded the first sack of his career in the third quarter. He now has 14.0 tackles, 1.0 sack and 2.0 tackles for loss this season.
• Redshirt freshman linebacker Eli Brown saw his most extensive action of season, registering a career-high 7.0 tackles in the game. Brown came into the game with 5.0 tackles on the season and a previous game-high of 2.0 set against both Florida and New Mexico State.
• Senior center Jon Toth started his 40th consecutive game for the Wildcats. Toth, along with senior defensive back J.D. Harmon and senior wide receiver Ryan Timmons, have each played a team-high 41 games in their career.
• Sophomore safety Mike Edwards led the Wildcats with 12 tackles in the game, tying his career high set against New Mexico State on Sept. 17. He ranks second in tackles on the season with 43.
• Senior running back Jojo Kemp led the Wildcats with 39 yards rushing on 10 attempts. He now has 1,435 career rushing yards, good for 21st on the school’s career rushing list. He needs 13 yards to equal Bobby Cravens (1956-58) for 20th.