CATSPY Awards Approaching
April 16, 2009
LEXINGTON, Ky. - The seventh-annual CATSPY Awards, celebrating the 2008-09 athletics year at the University of Kentucky, will be held on Wednesday, April 29 in Memorial Coliseum.
The awards ceremony begins at 8:00 p.m., with doors opening at 7:30 p.m., and the public is invited. Tickets cost $5 each and may be purchased in advance at the UK Athletics Ticket Office (Joe Craft Center) or by calling 800-928-2287. All persons must have a ticket to enter, regardless of age.
Public parking will be available in the E lots located on the east side (Rose Street) or west side (Lexington Avenue) of the Joe Craft Center. Additional parking will be available in parking structure #5 located near Kennedy's Book Store.
This year's ceremony will feature Christi Thomas of WKYT and Jay Crawford of ESPN. A spin-off of the popular ESPY Awards held each year by ESPN, the CATSPYS feature 25 individual and team honors, chosen from UK's 22 varsity sports. This event is dedicated to celebrating excellence on the court, in the classroom and in the community with UK's 504 student-athletes.
Videos of the nominees in each category are shown. UK student-athletes and head coaches serve as presenters.
The list of awards includes:
- Male and Female Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- Academic Team of the Year
- McDonald's Community Service Award
- Blue Heart Award
- Character Award
- Bill Keightley "Assist" Award
- Lifetime Achievement Award
- Scratch Award
- Supporting Role Award
- Mike Lyden Courage Award
- Men's Team Coach of the Year
- Women's Team Coach of the Year
- Mr. and Miss Wildcat
- Male and Female Play of the Year
- Male and Female Rookie of the Year
- Male and Female Performance of the Year
- K-Association Male and Female Athlete of the Year
- Male and Female Team of the Year
- "One Shining Moment"