CATSPY Awards Set for April 29
March 20, 2009
LEXINGTON, Ky. – The seventh-annual CATSPY Awards, celebrating the 2008-09 athletics year at the University of Kentucky, will be held on Wednesday, April 29 in Memorial Coliseum.
The awards ceremony begins at 8:00 p.m., with doors opening at 7:30 p.m., and the public is invited. Tickets cost $5 each and may be purchased in advance at the UK Athletics Ticket Office (Joe Craft Center) or by calling 800-928-2287. All persons must have a ticket to enter, regardless of age.
Public parking will be available in the E lots located on the east side (Rose Street) or west side (Lexington Avenue) of the Joe Craft Center. Additional parking will be available in parking structure #5 located near Kennedy's Book Store.
A spin-off of the popular ESPY Awards held each year by ESPN, the CATSPYs feature 25 individual and team honors, chosen from UK's 22 varsity sports. This event is dedicated to celebrating the 504 student-athletes that represent UK. Videos of the nominees in each category are shown. UK student-athletes and head coaches serve as presenters.
The list of awards includes:
- Male and Female Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- Academic Team of the Year
- Fifth Third Community Service Award
- Blue Heart Award
- Character Award
- Bill Keightley “Assist” Award
- Lifetime Achievement Award
- Male and Female Scratch Award
- Supporting Role Award
- Mike Lyden “One Shining Moment” Award
- Men's Team Coach of the Year
- Women's Team Coach of the Year
- Mr. and Miss Wildcat
- Male and Female Play of the Year
- Male and Female Rookie of the Year
- Male and Female Performance of the Year
- K-Association Male and Female Athlete of the Year
- Male and Female Team of the Year
Lists of award winners and photo galleries from previous CATSPYs may be seen on UKathletics.com under the ‘Tradition' tab.