Five NCAA Events Coming to Lexington
LEXINGTON, Ky. – The University of Kentucky will play host to five NCAA events – one national championship and four preliminary round competitions – from 2020-22 in the sports of rifle, outdoor track and field, men’s basketball, cross country and gymnastics, the NCAA announced Tuesday.
“We are honored to earn the right to host these five NCAA events in the coming years,” said Mitch Barnhart, UK Director of Athletics. “Hosting in the postseason is important to reaching the elite status we are pursuing and I would like to thank our staff for all the hard work that goes into hosting championship-caliber events. We are proud to continue to show off the city of Lexington by bringing thousands of visitors to our community through these events.”
Here is a list of the events in the order they will occur:
- Rifle – The rifle national championship will be held in the Nutter Field House on March 13-14, 2020. UK has played host to several regional qualifiers but this will be the first time that the championship will be held in Lexington.
- Men’s and Women’s Outdoor Track and Field – The East Regional will be May 28-30, 2020, at the UK Track and Field Complex. UK is also hosting the East Regional this year, set for May 25-27.
- Men’s Basketball – Rupp Arena will be a site for the NCAA Tournament First and Second Rounds on March 19 and 21, 2021. This will be the 13th time that the NCAA tourney – first/second rounds, regional or Final Four – has been played at Rupp.
- Men’s and Women’s Cross Country – For the first time, UK will play host to a cross country regional, with the event set for Masterson Station on Nov. 12, 2021.
- Women’s Gymnastics – For the fourth time in school history, Memorial Coliseum will be the site for a women’s gymnastics regional on April 2, 2022. UK also held the event in 1989, 1997 and 2010.
Ticket information for the events will be announced later.