Baseball vs. NKU -- Postgame Notes
Northern Kentucky at No. 12 Kentucky
March 29, 2016
Cliff Hagan Stadium -- Lexington, Ky.
FINAL SCORE: Northern Kentucky 5, Kentucky 4
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 17-7 and Northern Kentucky is 8-16.
- UK leads the all-time series with Northern Kentucky, 11-1, including a 9-1 mark in Lexington.
- UK head coach Gary Henderson has a 242-184 all-time record in his eighth year. He is the fastest coach to reach 200 wins in program history.
- Kentucky returns to action on Wednesday, hosting Xavier at 6:30 p.m. ET at Cliff Hagan Stadium.
- Kentucky has a 672-376-2 all-time record at Cliff Hagan Stadium and 12-3 in 2016.
- The Wildcats are 14-3 when scoring first.
- UK has 12-7 vs. a right-handed starting pitcher.
- UK is 2-3 in night games.
- Kentucky is 13-5 vs. non-conference opponents.
- In midweek games, UK is 4-2.
- UK is 9-1 in its blue uniform, white pants combination.
- UK is 1-2 on Tuesdays.
- Kentucky is 14-3 when scoring first.
- UK has hit 28 home runs, divided amongst 12 players.
- Kentucky turned its 18th double play of the year.
- UK is 8-3 when hitting a home run.
- Sophomore first baseman Evan White has reached base safely in 70 of his 76 career starts.
- White has a 17 game hitting streak.
- White has made a team-leading 67 consecutive starts.
- White has 108 hits in his career, passing Micheal Thomas (2009-12) for sole possession of 40th in UK history.
- Junior third baseman JaVon Shelby made his team-leading 128th career start.
- Shelby has reached base safely in 111 of his 129 career starts.
- Shelby was hit by his fourth pitch of the year and the 22nd of his career.
- Shelby is tied with J.T. Riddle (2011-13) for 13th in UK history in HBP.
- Shelby tripled for the second time in 2016 and the sixth time in his career.
- Shelby ranks tied for 12th with six career triples, one away from eighth place, which includes his brother, John Shelby (2004-06).
- Shelby has 129 hits in his career, ranking 31st in UK history.
- Junior centerfielder Storm Wilson has reached base safely in 84 of his 95 career starts.
- Wilson was hit by his 35th career pitch and the ninth of 2016.
- Wilson passes Austin Cousino (2012-14) for fourth in UK history.
- Junior DH Gunnar McNeill has reached base safely in 32 of his 38 career NCAA starts.
- McNeill has a team-high 19 game hitting streak.
- McNeill has reached in all 24 games of his UK career.
- Sophomore righty Zach Pop made his seventh appearance and fifth start of 2016.
- Pop has appeared in 18 games with seven starts in his career.
- UK is 3-2 in Pop’s 2016 starts and 4-3 in his career starts.
- Pop tied his career high with four innings and four strikeouts.
- Senior rightfielder Dorian Hairston collected his second two-out hit and first two-out RBI of the year.
- Sophomore shortstop Riley Mahan has eight two-out hits and five two-out RBI in 2016.
- Sophomore second baseman Luke Becker belted his first career home run, giving UK the lead in the fourth inning.
- Sophomore southpaw Brad Schaenzer appeared in his seventh game of the year.
- Schaenzer has pitched in 21 games in his career, 20 in relief.
- Junior shortstop Connor Heady played in his fifth game at Kentucky vs. his brother’s Quint’s Northern Kentucky club.
- Heady is 4-1 against his brother.
- Freshman righty Justin Lewis appeared in his ninth game.