Baseball vs. George Mason -- Postgame Notes
Kentucky at USC Upstate
Feb. 20, 2016
Harley Park -- Spartanburg, S.C.
FINAL SCORE: No. 25 Kentucky 8, George Mason 6
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 1-1 and George Mason is 1-1.
- The two teams met for the second time in series history and the first since a 2005 UK win.
- UK head coach Gary Henderson has a 227-177 all-time record in his seventh year. He is the fastest coach to reach 200 wins in program history.
- Under Henderson, UK is 200-10 when staked to an eighth-inning lead and since he arrived in Lexington to direct the pitching staff, UK is 352-22 when owning an eighth-inning lead.
- Kentucky will return to action on Sunday at 10 a.m. ET, facing Dayton at USC Upstate. The game will be broadcast live on the UK Sports Radio Network, with Dick Gabriel voicing the action. Fans in Lexington can hear the game live on 1580-AM or online at UKathletics.com.
- UK is 1-1 when scoring first.
- Kentucky has a 1-0 record in neutral-site games.
- UK is 1-1 when hitting a home run.
- UK is 1-0 when collecting 10 hits or more.
- Junior JaVon Shelby made his team-leading 107th consecutive start.
- Shelby has reached base safely in 93 of his 109 career starts.
- Shelby has 21 doubles in his career.
- Shelby has 113 hits in his career, moving past Shawn Lehmann (2005-06) for 38th in UK history.
- Shelby tied his carer high with three hits, done three times and last vs. Ole Miss in 2014.
- Senior righty Dustin Beggs made his 15th career start.
- Beggs has five career pickoffs.
- After allowing an RBI single in the fourth inning, Beggs retired eight consecutive hitters to end his outing.
- Worked his ninth career quality start.
- Beggs has an 8-4 record in his career and UK is 9-6 in his starts.
- Junior outfielder Storm Wilson has reached base safely in 59 of his 70 career starts.
- Wilson was hit by his 27th and 28th career pitch, moving past Taylor Black (2010-11) and Collin Cowgill (2005-08) for eighth, joining Chad Wright (2009-11) in UK history.
- Wilson stole his 12th career base.
- Junior DH Gunnar McNeill recorded his first UK RBI in the first inning with two outs.
- Freshman leftfielder Tristan Pompey made his first career start.
- Pompey’s first career hit was a no-doubt homer over the leftfield fence in the third inning.
- Pompey is the first UK player to record his first career hit as a home run since Luke Maile in 2010.
- Sophomore shortstop Riley Mahan ripped his sixth double of the year.
- Mahan recorded his sixth career multi-hit game.
- Junior outfielder Zach Reks collected his first career hit on an infield single as a pinch hitter in the sixth.
- Reks set a new career high with three hits.
- Sophomore first baseman Evan White has reached base safely in 49 of his 54 career starts.
- Sophomore righty Zach Pop appeared in his 12th career game.
- Sophomore lefty Zach Logue appeared in his 20th career game.
- Logue has inherited 17 runners in his career, allowing seven to score.
- Senior righty Bo Wilson appeared in his 12th career game with UK and his 60th NCAA appearance.
- Senior catcher Zach Arnold has reached base safely in 30 of his 34 career starts.
- In his first NCAA appearance, Justin Lewis earned the save.