Baseball vs. Dayton -- Postgame Notes
Kentucky vs. Dayton
Feb. 21, 2016
Harley Park -- Spartanburg, S.C.
FINAL SCORE: No. 25 Kentucky 15, Dayton 2
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 2-1 and Dayton is 0-3.
- UK leads the all-time series with Dayton, 9-2, also winning the last meeting in 2012.
- This is the first meeting between the two teams on a neutral site.
- UK head coach Gary Henderson has a 228-177 all-time record in his eighth year. He is the fastest coach to reach 200 wins in program history.
- Under Henderson, UK is 201-10 when staked to an eighth-inning lead and since he arrived in Lexington to direct the pitching staff, UK is 353-22 when owning an eighth-inning lead.
- Kentucky will return to action on Friday vs. UC Santa Barbara in the Tony Gwynn Classic. The game will be broadcast live on the UK Sports Radio Network, with Dick Gabriel voicing the action.
- UK is 2-1 when scoring first.
- Kentucky has a 2-0 record in neutral-site games.
- UK is 2-0 when collecting 10 hits or more.
- UK is 2-1 when hitting a home run.
- Kentucky had a season-high 20 hits and 15 runs.
- A six-run inning in the seventh and again in the eighth marked UK’s largest of the year.
- UK hit eight homers in a single game, its best output since hitting six homers vs. Dayton in 2012.
- Freshman leftfielder Tristan Pompey doubled and tripled for the first time in his career.
- Pompey belted a homer over the rightfield fence, the second of his opening weekend.
- He then ripped his second homer in as many at-bats, sending it over the rightfield fence for his first multi-homer game.
- Pompey is the first player to hit home runs from both sides of the plate in a single weekend since Ryan Wilkes (2005-08).
- Junior JaVon Shelby made his team-leading 108th consecutive start.
- Shelby has reached base safely in 94 of his 110 career starts.
- Shelby has 116 hits in his career, passing Gunner Glad (2010-11) for 38th in UK history.
- Shelby hit his first two homers of the year and the 15th of his career.
- The Shelby family have hit combined to hit 48 home runs for Kentucky.
- Shelby had his first career multi-homer game.
- Shelby doubled for the fourth time on the year and the 15th time in his career.
- Senior right-hander Kyle Cody made his team-leading 29th career start, appearing in his 48th career game.
- Cody has 11 quality starts in his career.
- Cody has worked three consecutive quality starts.
- Cody retired 22 of the final 24 hitters he faced.
- Junior DH Gunnar McNeill collected a two-hit game.
- McNeill has reached base safely in 11 of his 17 career NCAA starts.
- Junior outfielder Marcus Carson hit his first career home run, his first in 125 career at-bats.
- Carson has reached base safely in 19 of his 29 starts.
- Sophomore catcher Troy Squires doubled down the rightfield line to record his first career hit in the third inning.
- Cottam belted his first career homer in the eighth inning.
- Freshman catcher Kole Cottam recorded his first career hit and RBI as a pinch hitter in the seventh.
- Cottam hit his first career homer in the eighth.
- Sophomore shortstop Riley Mahan stole his second career base.
- Mahan had reached base safely in 19 of 25 career starts.
- Mahan had his second career triple and first of 2016.
- Junior outfielder Zach Reks made his first career start.
- Sophomore first baseman Evan White has reached base safely in 50 of his 55 career starts.
- Freshman righty Sean Hjelle made his collegiate debut on the mound in the eighth.
- Sophomore southpaw Brad Schaenzer appeared in his first game of the year and the 15th of his career.
- Freshman lefty Josh Smith made his collegiate debut.
- Senior outfielder Dorian Hairston hit his first homer of the year and the fifth of his career.