Baseball vs. Alabama (4/8/16) -- Postgame Notes
Alabama at No. 13 Kentucky
April 8, 2016
Cliff Hagan Stadium – Lexington, Ky.
FINAL SCORE: No. 13 Kentucky 3, Alabama 2
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 21-8, 7-3 in the Southeastern Conference. Alabama is 18-12, 5-5 in the SEC.
- UK head coach Gary Henderson has a 246-185 all-time record in his eighth year. He is the fastest coach to reach 200 wins in program history.
- Alabama leads the all-time series, 59-38, including a 23-18 mark in Lexington.
- The series will resume on Saturday at 2 p.m. ET at Cliff Hagan Stadium.
- Kentucky has a 674-376-2 all-time record at Cliff Hagan Stadium and 14-3 in 2016.
- UK is 3-1 in April.
- UK is 13-7 vs. a right-handed starting pitcher.
- UK is 4-4 in night games.
- Kentucky is 3-5 on Fridays.
- UK is 3-1 vs. SEC opponents at The Cliff.
- Kentucky is 2-3 in black uniforms and white pants.
- UK is 4-5 when its opponent scores first.
- Kentucky turned its 20th double play of the year and its second started by a pitcher on the year.
- Sophomore first baseman Evan White had his career-long 21-game hitting streak snapped, the second longest streak in UK history.
- White has made a team-leading 73 consecutive starts.
- Junior DH Gunnar McNeill had his team-high 23-game hitting streak snapped, the longest streak in the SEC and the longest in UK history.
- McNeill had reached in all 28 games of his UK career before tonight.
- Junior third baseman JaVon Shelby made his team-leading 133rd career start.
- Shelby doubled for the eighth time in 2016 and the 26th time in his career.
- Shelby has reached base safely in 114 of his 133 career starts.
- Junior centerfielder Storm Wilson has reached base safely in 91 of his 100 career starts.
- Wilson notched his fifth two-strike hit.
- Wilson collected his seventh multi-hit game of the year.
- Junior righty Zack Brown made his 42nd career appearance and his 27th career start.
- Brown has two quality starts in 2016 and 10 in his career.
- UK is 3-5 in Brown’s starts in 2016 and 14-13 in his career.
- Brown is 9-12 in his career and 6-8 in the SEC.
- Sophomore second baseman Luke Becker has reached base safely in 22 of his 26 starts.
- Senior righty Zach Strecker appeared in his team-leading 12th game of the year.
- Strecker has appeared in 71 games in his career, moving into a tie with Adam Shadburne (1993-96) for ninth in UK history.
- Strecker has worked 18.2 consecutive shutout innings.
- Strecker has a 2.99 career ERA, ranking fifth in UK history.
- Freshman righty Sean Hjelle appeared in his 10th game.
- Hjelle earned his team-leading fifth save of the year.
- Hjelle ranks tied for 13th in UK single-season history in saves.