Baseball at Wofford - Game Notes
Kentucky at Wofford
Feb. 19, 2016
Russell C. King Field -- Spartanburg, S.C.
FINAL SCORE: Wofford 5, Kentucky 4
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 0-1 and Wofford is 1-0.
- The series between the two teams is tied, 2-2.
- UK head coach Gary Henderson has a 226-177 all-time record in his seventh year. He is the fasted coach to reach 200 wins in program history.
- Under Henderson, UK is 199-10 when staked to an eighth-inning lead and since he arrived in Lexington to direct the pitching staff, UK is 351-22 when owning an eighth-inning lead.
- Kentucky will return to action on Saturday, playing George Mason at noon at USC Upstate. The game will be broadcast live on the UK Sports Radio Network, with Dick Gabriel voicing the action. Fans in Lexington can hear the game live on 1580-AM or online at UKathletics.com.
- Kentucky owns a 60-40-3 all-time record in season openers. UK had a streak of four consecutive season openers snapped.
- Junior JaVon Shelby made his team-leading 106th consecutive start.
- Shelby made his first career start at third base.
- Shelby has reached base safely in 91 of his 107 career starts.
- Shelby ripped his 19th career double.
- Sophomore first baseman Evan White has reached base safely in 48 of his 53 career starts.
- White recorded his 21st career multi-hit game.
- Sophomore catcher Troy Squires made his first career start.
- Junior outfielder Storm Wilson has reached base safely in 58 of his 69 career starts.
- Wilson made his first career start in centerfield.
- Wilson hit his sixth career home run.
- Junior right-hander Zack Brown made his 20th career start and his first career opening-day start.
- Sophomore Riley Mahan made his sixth career start at shortstop.
- Mahan legged out his second career bunt single.
- Senior Dorian Hairston made his first career start in leftfield and his first career opening-day start.
- Sophomore second baseman Luke Becker started his UK debut.
- Becker’s first career hit came on a 3-2 pitch, lifting a single into the left-centerfield gap.
- Junior DH Gunnar McNeill started his first career UK game.
- McNeill got his first career hit in the seventh inning with two outs, a liner up the middle.
- Senior righty Zach Strecker appeared in his 60th career game.
- Strecker stranded an inherited runner and has inherited 54 runners in his career, allowing only 18 to score.
- Junior Zach Reks made his UK debut as a pinch hitter in the sixth inning.
- Freshman Tristan Pompey made his UK debut as a pinch hitter in the seventh inning.
- Freshman Kole Cottam made his collegiate debut behind the plate to start the bottom of the seventh inning.
- Junior lefty Logan Salow appeared in his 47th career game.
- Salow inherited a runner and didn’t allow him to score.
- In his career, Salow has inherited 48 runners, allowing only 12 to score.