Baseball at Vanderbilt (4/17/16) -- Postgame Notes
No. 9 Kentucky at No. 4 Vanderbilt
April 17, 2016
Charles Hawkins Field -- Nashville, Tenn.
FINAL SCORE: No. 9 Kentucky 3, No. 4 Vanderbilt 0
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 23-12, 9-6 in the Southeastern Conference. Vanderbilt is 28-8, 9-6 in the SEC.
- UK head coach Gary Henderson is 251-189 in his eighth season. He is the fastest coach to 200 wins in program history.
- Vanderbilt leads the all-time series, in its 292nd meeting, 146-142-5, including a 77-63-4 record in games played in Nashville.
- Kentucky will return to action on Tuesday, beginning a four-game week. UK travels to No. 6 Louisville for a 6 p.m. ET matchup at Jim Patterson Stadium.
- Kentucky is 6-5 on the road and 5-4 on the road in the SEC.
- UK is 5-5 in April.
- UK is 3-4 vs. top-25 ranked teams.
- UK has a 109-154 all-time record vs. ranked teams.
- UK is 28-39 vs. top-five teams all-time.
- UK played Vanderbilt as a ranked foe for the 23rd time.
- UK is 7-18 vs. a ranked Vandy team.
- UK is 15-11 when facing a right-handed starting pitcher.
- UK has a 19-6 record in day games.
- UK is 6-2 on Sundays.
- Senior righty Kyle Cody appeared in his 56th career game and made his 37th start.
- UK is 7-2 in Cody’s starts in 2016 and 22-15 in his career.
- Cody has six quality starts on the year and 16 in his career.
- Cody is tied with Rob Corrado (2000-02) and Vince Tyra (1985-88) for 13th in UK history in starts.
- Cody is 15-9 in his career and 3-5 in the SEC.
- Cody is 4-2 in 2016.
- Cody has won 64 percent of his decisions in his career, ranking 11th in UK history.
- Sophomore first baseman Evan White has made a team-leading 78 consecutive starts.
- Junior third baseman JaVon Shelby made his team-leading 140th career start.
- Junior centerfielder Storm Wilson has reached base safely in 31 of 33 starts and in 96 of his 106 career starts.
- Freshman rightfielder Tristan Pompey doubled for the sixth time.
- Sophomore second baseman Luke Becker laid down his second sac bunt of the year.
- Freshman righty Justin Lewis appeared in his 13th game of the year.
- Freshman right-hander Sean Hjelle pitched in his 13th game.
- Hjelle earned his team-high sixth save of the year.
- Hjelle is tied with Brock Baber (2005) and Bob Silvanik (1981) for 11th in UK single-season history in saves.
- Sophomore catcher Troy Squires doubled for the third time in his career.
- Squires set new career highs in hits (two) and RBI (three).
- Squires has five two-out hits and six two-out RBI in his career.