Baseball at Tennessee (4/2/16) -- Postgame Notes
No. 12 Kentucky at Tennessee
April 2, 2016
Lindsey Nelson Stadium -- Knoxville, Tenn.
FINAL SCORE: No. 12 Kentucky 5, Tennessee 4
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 19-8, 5-3 in the Southeastern Conference. Tennessee is 17-10, 3-5 in the SEC.
- UK head coach Gary Henderson has a 245-185 all-time record in his eighth year. He is the fastest coach to reach 200 wins in program history.
- Tennessee leads the all-time series, 154-147.
- The series will conclude on Sunday at 2 p.m. ET at Lindsey Nelson Stadium.
- Under Henderson, UK is 215-10 when staked to an eighth-inning lead and since he arrived in Lexington to direct the pitching staff, UK is 368-22 when owning an eighth-inning lead.
- UK is 16-0 when holding an eighth-inning lead in 2016.
- Kentucky is 4-3 on the road in 2016.
- UK is 3-2 on the road in SEC play.
- The Wildcats are 7-1 vs. a left-handed starting pitcher.
- UK is 1-1 in April.
- UK is 3-0 when tied after the seventh inning.
- UK I s 15-0 when holding a lead after the sixth inning.
- UK is 16-4 in day games.
- UK is 16-3 when scoring first.
- Kentucky is 8-0 on Saturdays.
- Senior righty Dustin Beggs made his 21st career start and his seventh of 2016.
- Beggs has a 3.34 ERA in his career, ranking ninth in UK annals.
- Beggs is 7-0 in 2016 and 14-4 in his career.
- Beggs is the first pitcher in UK history to win his first seven starts to a season.
- Beggs is 8-3 in SEC play in his career and 3-0 in 2016.
- UK is 7-0 in Beggs’ starts in 2016 and 15-6 in his career.
- Beggs has won 78 percent of his decisions, ranking third in UK history.
- Sophomore first baseman Evan White has reached base safely in 73 of his 79 career starts.
- White has a 20-game hitting streak.
- White has made a team-leading 71 consecutive starts.
- White laid down his first sac bunt of the year and the second of his career.
- White has 112 hits in his career, passing Shawn Lehmann (2005-06) for 40th in UK history.
- Junior DH Gunnar McNeill has reached base safely in 35 of his 41 career NCAA starts.
- McNeill has a team-high 22-game hitting streak, the longest current streak in the SEC and the longest in UK history.
- McNeill has reached in all 27 games of his UK career.
- McNeill leads the team with 33 RBI.
- Junior third baseman JaVon Shelby made his team-leading 131st career start.
- Shelby has reached base safely in 114 of his 131 career starts.
- Shelby doubled for the seventh time in 2016 and the 25th time in his career.
- Shelby has 131 hits in his career, passing Thomas Bernal (2011-15) for 30th in UK history.
- Junior centerfielder Storm Wilson has reached base safely in 87 of his 98 career starts.
- Wilson laid down his second bunt single of the year.
- Freshman righty Sean Hjelle appeared in his ninth game.
- Hjelle earned his team-leading fourth save of the year.
- Junior leftfielder Zach Reks laid down his second career sac bunt.
- Reks was hit by his third pitch.
- Sophomore shortstop Riley Mahan notched his ninth two-out hit and his sixth two-out RBI.
- Mahan doubled for the sixth time in 2016 and the 11th time in his career.
- Freshman catcher Kole Cottam doubled for the third time.