Baseball at San Diego State -- Postgame Notes
Kentucky at San Diego State
Feb. 27, 2016
Tony Gwynn Stadium -- San Diego, Calif.
FINAL SCORE: No. 22 Kentucky 6, San Diego State 0
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 3-2 and San Diego State is 1-6.
- SDSU won the only other meeting in the series in 2010 at Gwynn Stadium.
- UK head coach Gary Henderson has a 230-177 all-time record in his eighth year. He is the fastest coach to reach 200 wins in program history.
- A 1984 graduate of San Diego State, Henderson has a 1-2 record when leading the Wildcats back to his collegiate stadium, also facing SDSU in 2010.
- Kentucky will return to action on Sunday, playing in the second round of the TGC. The game will be broadcast live on the UK Sports Radio Network, with Dick Gabriel voicing the action.
- Kentucky has a 3-1 record in neutral-site games.
- UK has a 2-0 record in its blue/white uniform combination.
- Senior righty Dustin Beggs made his 16th career start.
- Beggs has a 9-4 career record.
- Beggs sports a 3.26 ERA, ranking seventh in UK history.
- Beggs has worked 10 quality starts in his 16 career starts.
- Beggs fanned 10, marking his second career double-digit strikeout effort.
- Beggs threw first-pitch strikes to 19 of 28 hitters faced.
- Sophomore shortstop Riley Mahan doubled for the seventh time in his career and the second in 2016.
- Mahan has reached base safely in 21 of his 27 career starts.
- Mahan has three two-out hits in 2016 and 10 in his career.
- Mahan hit his first homer of the year and the second of his career.
- Mahan’s homer in 2015 was an inside-the-park homer.
- UK is 2-0 in Mahan’s career when he homers.
- Junior JaVon Shelby made his team-leading 110th consecutive start.
- Shelby has reached base safely in 95 of his 111 career starts.
- Shelby has 117 hits in his career.
- Sophomore first baseman Evan White extended his team-leading streak of reaching base safely to eight games.
- White has reached base safely in 52 of his 57 career starts.
- White doubled for the 14th time in his career and the second in 2016.
- Freshman catcher Kole Cottam made his first career start.
- Cottam caught his first career runner stealing.
- Junior DH Gunnar McNeill was plunked by his first career pitch.
- McNeill has reached base safely in 13 of his 19 starts.
- Sophomore second baseman Luke Becker notched his first career multi-walk game, drawing three walks.
- Junior centerfielder Storm Wilson has reached base safely in 60 of his 71 career starts.
- Freshman righty Sean Hjelle appeared in his second career game.
- Junior shortstop Connor Heady appeared in his first game of the year.