July 29, 2012
Brooke Keyes - Soccer
My heart always seems to feel heavy around airports because I hate goodbyes, and all day I knew this was coming. The people we said goodbye to as we walked into the airport were Mark, Alena, Girma, Wario and Kaleab, people I feel like I have known for years. Tears began to fill my eyes... something that has occurred a lot this week.
A large piece of my heart will be left here in Ethiopia. I am so thankful to be a part of this trip and share this experience with seven other wonderful student-athletes, and three incredible adults that made us feel like adults as well as their friends. On this trip, my heart broke into a thousand pieces and then it was repaired to full. I learned so much from this country, but I narrowed it down to my top ten:
10. I need to listen and be still more often.
9. I am so ungrateful.
8. I need to be intentional about getting to know other UK student-athletes.
7. I need to marry a man who is grounded and keeps me grounded.
6. I will adopt one day.
5. The eyes say so much more than the mouth.
4. God is everywhere... we just cease to realize it.
3. Money is so overrated. So is the "American Dream."
2. I never want to settle for living comfortably. I want to be challenged and take risks.
1. The greatest need in the world right now is TIME.
There is no way we are coming back to America the same as when we left. Thank you to all who made this trip possible.