Every Tuesday, UK Athletics recognizes outstanding performances for our student-athletes. These are the honorees for the week ending Sunday, Mar. 11:
Baseball: Cameron Flynn
Enjoyed a breakout week in helping No. 23 Kentucky to five wins, including a series sweep over the weekend ... Batted .500 (7-for-14) in four games, with two homers and seven RBI, slugging .929 and reaching base at a .529 clip during the week ... Drew one walk and got hit by a pitch, adding one outfield assist while playing left and rightfield ... A native of Lexington, Ky., Flynn leads UK in hitting through his first 15 career UK games, batting .441 (15-for-34) with four doubles, a team-best four homers and 13 RBI ... Flynn owns a team-high .912 slugging mark, adding a .511 on-base percentage with a 6-5 walk-strikeout ratio ... Belted homers in back-to-back wins over Canisius on the weekend, joining fellow outfielder Zac Zellers as Wildcats to homer in consecutive games in 2012 ... Went 3-for-4 in UK's win over CC in the series opener, with the homer and a walk.
Track and field: Terri-Ann Grant
- Finished ninth in the women's high jump at the NCAA Championships, clearing a mark of 1.78m/5-10.00.
- Earned second-team All-America honors in the high jump.
Baseball: Jerad Grundy
Turned in a strong start in his final non-Southeastern Conference tune-up of the season, posting his third win of the season on Saturday vs. Canisius ... Tossed a career-high 7.1 innings, allowing only three hits and two walks, striking out seven ... Held CC to a .125 batting average ... Faced only three hitters over the minimum in the win ... On the year, Grundy has made four starts, posting a 3-0 record and a 2.25 ERA ... In 24 innings in 2012, Grundy has allowed only 16 hits and six earned runs, walking seven and striking out 23.
Gymnastics: Storey Morris
- On Senior Day for the UK gymnastics team, senior Storey Morris had an outstanding meet. Morris won the balance beam title at the event with a career-high tying 9.875, while sticking her vault to go 9.775 and earning a solid 9.85 on bars.
Men's Golf: Chase Parker
- Finished fourth out of 90 golfers at the USF Invitational with a final score of 3-under-par.
- Shot a career-best tying 5-under-par 67 in the second round of the USF Invitational, his second round of 67 in his last three rounds played going back to the Mobile Bay Intercollegiate.
- Is 8-under-par in his last four rounds played going back to the final round of the Mobile Bay Intercollegiate.
- Defeated all other SEC golfers at the USF Invitational.
- Led Kentucky to a third-place finish at the USF Invitational, defeating two top-40 schools (No. 20 Florida State and No. 38 MTSU), with a 54-hole total of 868.
- The Wildcats' 4-over-par 868 is their third-best 54-hole total of the year, and their best of the young spring season.
Baseball: A.J. Reed
Dynamic two-way talent led UK in the middle of the batting order in four of five wins during the week, starting the fifth game and picking up the win on the mound ... Batted .389 (7-for-18) in the four games, batting No. 4 and No. 5 in the order ... Had two doubles and six RBI, with a .500 slugging mark and a .431 on-base percentage ... Made a start for the Wildcats vs. Marshall on Wednesday, picking up the win in his second career starting assignment ... Tossed five innings, allowing four hits and two runs, striking out a career-best seven ... On the year, Reed leads UK with 23 RBI, adding a .333 (17-for-51) average with five doubles, one homer and eight walks ... Has posted a 2-0 record and a 2.31 ERA on the mound, with 10 strikeouts in 11.2 innings.
Men's tennis: Grant Roberts
- Went 2-0 in singles action over the weekend, including his match-clinching point against No. 9 Florida on Sunday. After falling in the first set, Roberts made some quick adjustments on the court to grab the second set and then dominate the third set 6-0 for the win.
Gymnastics: Whitney Rose
- Performed very well for Kentucky in the last home meet of her career, tying a season best on uneven bars with a mark of 9.775. Rose has been in every bar lineup this season, holding a strong average.