It's a busy time of year in the land of blue. The men's basketball team found out its destination for the NCAA Tournament last night and learned what path they will have to take to reach another Final Four. The women's team awaits their draw later Monday night, and several other UK sports are in season as well. So with that, if you feel like taking a minute or two from filling out your numerous brackets and analyzing the men's draw, and planning your trip to Dayton for the play in games, here's the latest on what's going on in the world of Kentucky athletics.
On to the notes...
- Post-season college basketball accolades keep rolling in for the men's basketball team. The Associate Press Southeastern Conference Awards were announced Monday afternoon, with quite a bit of Kentucky flavor. Anthony Davis was tabbed Player of the Year and also was a unanimous selection for first-team All-SEC team, joined by fellow freshman and teammate Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. Sophomore forward Terrence Jones was named to the All-SEC second team.
- The final Associated Press Top 25 was released on Monday and the Cats occupy the top spot for the eighth straight week. It was also the eighth time a Kentucky team has been No. 1 in the final poll. Three of those teams went on to win national titles. UK is also No. 1 in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll, receiving 30 of 31 votes.
- The U.S. Basketball Writers Association has named two Wildcats to their All-American team. Anthony Davis was named first team All-American after leading the number one overall seed this season averaging 14.9 point, 10 rebounds, and 4.6 blocks per game. Davis joins Draymond Green (Michigan State), Doug McDermott (Creighton), Thomas Robinson (Kansas, and Jared Sullinger (Ohio State) on the first team. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist appears on the USBWA second-team list. Kidd-Gilchrist averaged 11.8 points and 7.6 rebounds per game this season. He is joined on the second team by Isaiah Canaan (Murray State), Marcus Denmon (Missouri), Kevin Jones (West Virginia), and Tyler Zeller (North Carolina).
- Times, channels and announcers have been set for the NCAA Tournament. Kentucky will play Thursday, March 16 in Louisville at 6:50 p.m. The game against the winner of Mississippi Valley State and Western Kentucky will be broadcast on TBS with Verne Lundquist and Bill Raftery with the call. Also, UK will hold a practice on Wednesday in the KFC Yum! Center at 4:25 p.m. ET that will be open to fans
- The women will hear their names called tonight in the Women's Selection Show on ESPN at 7 p.m. Matthew Mitchell's squad won the SEC regular season championship this year, but fell to LSU in the semifinals of the SEC Tournament. The Cats expect a favorable seed as they look to make a deep run into the NCAA Tournament. Make sure to check back in with us here at Cat Scratches for video interviews with Mitchell and players.
- The baseball team saw that number next to their name get a little smaller today. Previously ranked 23rd nationally in the Collegiate Baseball Top-30 poll, Kentucky (16-0) jumped all the way up to No. 16 as the country's only undefeated team in college baseball. The Wildcats also showed up for the first time this season in the USA Today/ESPN coaches poll at No. 20.