Every Tuesday, UK Athletics recognizes outstanding performances for our student-athletes. These are the honorees for the week ending Sunday, Jan. 1:
Men's basketball: Anthony Davis
Anthony Davis averaged a double-double for the second straight week, helping the Wildcats to a 2-0 record on the week including a win over fourth-ranked Louisville ... Davis has tallied three-straight double-doubles and four in his last five games ... He blocked 12 shots on the week and is on pace to destroy the UK single season blocks record by nearly 70 blocks ... Davis hit a career high 12 free throws in the win over Louisville, finishing with 18 points and 10 rebounds while blocking six shots for the second-straight game and tying his career high in steals with three.
Men's basketball: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist helped lead Kentucky to a 2-0 record on the week, averaging a double-double ... He followed his career-high 18-point night against Lamar with a career-game against fourth-ranked Louisville, where he posted his second career double-double with career highs in points (24) and rebounds (19) ... He has now scored in double-figures in seven-straight games ... For his efforts, he was named the game's MVP by the Bluegrass Sports Commission ... His 19 rebounds was a UK-UofL series record ... He tied his career-high for free throws made with eight
Women's basketball: Bria Goss
- Scored a team-high 12 points at Middle Tennessee.
- Finished with 12 points, six boards and two steals at Middle Tennessee.
- Only UK player to reach double figures in scoring at Middle Tennessee.
- Played 35 and 36 minutes at Middle Tennessee and Florida, respectively, both team highs.
- Scored a career-high 11 first-half points against Florida on 5-7 shooting.
- Has reached double figures in scoring in 12 of 14 games for the Wildcats, including each of the last six.
- Has started in every game this season.
- Has at least two steals in five of UK's last six games.
- Leading freshman scorer in the SEC.
- Averaging 14.3 points, 4.3 rebounds and 2.3 steals over Kentucky's last six contests.
- On the season (among players who have played five or more games), ranks second on the team in scoring (12.2 ppg), third in rebounding (5.1 rpg), third in steals (1.9 spg) and tied for fourth in assists (1.7 apg).
Women's basketball: A'dia Mathies
- Scored a team-high 14 points at Florida, to go along with six boards, three assists and three steals.
- Scored all eight of her points vs. Middle Tennessee in the second half. Had eight boards, one assist and three steals at MT to go along with her eight points.
- With UK trailing by two in the final minute of the first half at Florida, Mathies turned the game around by nailing two 3-pointers, grabbing a rebound and taking a charge in the final 60 seconds to give UK a four-point halftime lead, and they would never trail again.
- Has started in every game she has played this season.
- Has reached double figures in scoring in 11 of 13 games she has played in.
- Has at least two steals in every game but one that she has played in this season.
- No. 22 in scoring all-time at UK (1,125), and is just 10 points shy of tying Karen Mosely No. 21.
- No. 9 in steals all-time at UK (212), and is just 12 steals shy of tying Sandy Harding at No. 8.