Every Tuesday, UK Athletics recognizes outstanding performances for our student-athletes. These are the honorees for the week ending Sunday, Sept. 25:
Men's tennis: Alejandro Gomez
- Continued to perform well this fall by claiming the division II singles title at the Southern Intercollegiate Championships in Athens, Ga.
- Is 10-0 so far this fall with all 10 wins coming in straight sets.
Football: Winston Guy
- 11 tackles
Men's tennis: Ryuji Hirooka/Maks Gold
- Won the division II doubles championship at the Southern Intercollegiate in Athens, Ga.
- First time the tandem have played together in doubles, posting a 5-0 record at the event.
- Faced three match points in the semifinals but fought back hard to claim the match and then won the championship on Monday.
Women's soccer: Kelsey Hunyadi
Kelsey Hunyadi tied her career high for points in a game with five in helping the Wildcats to a 4-1 win at Alabama ... Hunyadi recorded her first multi-goal game of the season and her second at UK ... She added an assist to equal her career-best five point outing against Vanderbilt last season ... Hunyadi also netted her second game-winning goal of the season which helped UK beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa for the first time since the 2003 season
Football: La'Rod King
- Five receptions for 50 yards
- One touchdown
Men's soccer: Matt Lodge
Junior Matt Lodge had another prolific week, including helping No. 21 Kentucky to a 3-2 win over red-hot Evansville on Friday night with two assists and one goal ... Lodge netted the go-ahead goal in the second half vs. Evansville, assisting on Josh Mulvany's goal that evened up the game at 1-1 ... His highlight on Friday came on Sam Brooks' game-winning goal in the 85th minute, making a sliding cross across the six-yard box in traffic to Brooks at the far post who netted the winning tally ...Took six shots on the week, with all six coming on target, five forcing saves and one going as his goal ... On the year, Lodge leads UK with 21 points in 11 games, owning seven goals and seven assists ... The Rossington, England, native leads UK with 54 shots and 24 shots on goal, with two of his goals going as game-winning tallies ... Just 11 games deep into his junior season, Lodge ranks seventh in UK career history with 46 points, including 17 goals and 12 assists.
Volleyball: Becky Pavan
Senior Becky Pavan had an exceptional weekend for the Wildcats during their first SEC road trip of the season. Pavan charted team-highs with 28 kills and a .469 hitting percentage. She also took a team-high 49 swings, while committing a mere five errors combined. She totaled 10 or more kills in both matches including 15 in a victory over South Carolina. Against the Gamecocks she also paced the team with a season-high six blocks. With the five block assists, Pavan moved into ninth place all-time at UK with 310 career block assists.
Men's tennis: Eric Quigley
- Made an impressive run to the finals of the division I singles bracket before falling to No. 6 Wil Spencer of Georgia in a tightly contested match 7-6 (6), 6-3.
- Quigley took down two ranked foes en route to the finals appearance, defeating No. 24 Sadio Doumbia and No. 107 Hernus Pieters both of Georgia.