Every Tuesday, UK Athletics recognizes outstanding performances for our student-athletes. These are the honorees for the week ending Sunday, Feb. 20:
Gymnastics: Kentucky Vault Lineup
The University of Kentucky women's gymnastics team had a school-record breaking performance Sunday against the Ohio State Buckeyes, scoring the highest team vault score in school history with a 49.4. The Wildcats were led on the event by senior Phylicia Reshard, who earned a career high 9.95, becoming only the sixth gymnasts in school history to earn a 9.95 or higher on vault. Fellow senior Jasmine Minion and junior Whitney Rose were just behind Reshard with a 9.875. Seniors Andrea Mitchell and Colleen Williams scored a 9.85, with Mitchell's mark tying a career high and Williams' score setting her career high. Video of all five vaults
Softball: Brittany Cervantes
Junior Brittany Cervantes rewrote the UK history books in helping the Blue and White to their best start in school history with an 8-2 record through 10 games of action. Cervantes was simply magnificent in putting on an offensive show in leading UK to the Garnet and Gold tournament crown. The junior started four games at third base and one at catcher and batted a blistering .625 with a 10-for-16 weekend while also reaching base four more times by way of a walk. She ripped three home runs and a double while driving in seven runs. Additionally, Cervantes swiped her first three bases of the season along the base paths. She had a blazing 1.250 slugging percentage and a remarkable .700 on-base clip.
Cervantes' history lesson began with her matching a career best with two home runs in the win over Georgia Southern on Saturday. She then opened the Florida State game on Sunday with a long ball to strike for a UK-record three consecutive homers in as many at-bats. Furthermore, between the two games Cervantes has reached base seven straight times including six consecutive by way of a hit. Her four hits in the tournament-clinching win over Florida State is a career-best. With a hit in every game this weekend, Cervantes has charted a career-high six-game hitting streak which extends back to a hit in the final game of the FIU Combat Classic. Her three runs scored in the win over Middle Tennessee State is a career-high. Cervantes totaled three games with multi-hit performances and charted a pair of games with multi-RBI. With the three home runs this weekend she pushes her career total to 24 and is now nine shy of setting the UK career home run record in just her third season of action.
Men's basketball: Terrence Jones
Recorded back-to-back double-doubles in helping lead the Cats to a 2-0 record on the week ... Has tallied four double-doubles in last six games ... Tied career high with five assists against Mississippi State ... Tied career high with five offensive rebounds against South Carolina ... 10 defensive rebounds against Mississippi State was most since pulling down 15 against Notre Dame on Dec. 8.
Baseball: Alex Meyer
Junior Alex Meyer had arguably the best game of his career in his season-debut on Sunday vs. Miami (Ohio) ... The 6-foot-9 right-hander tossed a career-high seven innings, whiling striking out a career-best 13 ... The Greensburg, Ind., native allowed only three hits and held the Redhawks to a .143 batting average ... Meyer's 13 strikeouts marks his sixth career double-digit strikeout performance ... A preseason All-Southeastern Conference selection by Baseball America, Meyer was the hard-luck loser in a 3-1 loss to the Redhawks, allowing one run in the fourth inning, with Miami taking the lead in the seventh inning on an error that would have retired the go-ahead run at home plate ... While tossing the quality start, Meyer allowed only three runners to reach scoring position and struck out eight of the first 12 hitters he faced on the season.
Men's basketball: Darius Miller
Tallied back-to-back double-digit efforts helping Kentucky to a 2-0 record on the week ... Hit 3-of-7 3-pointers in victory over Mississippi State and followed it with a career best 6-of-8 performance against South Carolina ... Recorded career-high 22 points in win against USC ... Missed double-double by one rebound ... Blocked three shots, one short of career-high.
Women's basketball: Bernisha Pinkett
- Freshman Bernisha Pinkett averaged a team-high tying 13.0 points, 7.0 rebounds and 1.5 assists in UK's two SEC road games last week.
- Earned her first career start vs. Vanderbilt and did not disappoint as she posted UK's second-highest point total with 14.
- Also grabbed six rebounds in a career-high 36 minutes of play in helping UK chart its first win over VU in Nashville since 1986.
- UK's second-leading scorer with 12 points off the bench in a tough loss at Georgia.
- Grabbed a career-high eight rebounds vs. the Lady Bulldogs.
- Hit 7-of-8 free-throw attempts in the two games.
- Has now scored at least three points in 12 consecutive games.
Women's basketball: Keyla Snowden
- Despite playing with a stress fracture in her right foot, junior Keyla Snowden averaged a team-high tying 13.0 points, 2.0 steals and 1.5 assists in UK's two road games last week.
- Earned a spot back in the starting lineup vs. Vanderbilt, scoring an SEC-high 22 points in the pivotal win over Vanderbilt.
- Went 7-of-10 from the floor, including 4-of-6 from behind the arc vs. the 'Dores.
- Moved up to eighth place on UK's single-season 3-pointers made list with 52, passing her total of 51 from the 2009-10 season.
- Charted just her second 20-plus point game of the season in helping UK chart its first win at Vandy in 25 years.