It's been football, football, football on this blog of late, and, well, here comes another football post. Because it's the beginning of fall camp and the 2010 season, there has been plenty of news around Lexington regarding the pigskin.
To kind of wrap up the start of the season and Friday's Media Day, I thought I'd post some of the best stories from our local scribes over the past few days.
Also, a warm welcome is in store for two of our newest writers on the blog. Metz Camfield, previously with the Kentucky Kernel as the men's basketball beat writer, and Guy Ramsey will be pitching in on the blog from time to time for the 2010-11 season. Camfield wrote on the quarterback situation Friday, and Ramsey has a great piece on the impact of Rock Oliver that I'll be posting today or tomorrow.
Glad to have the two along for the ride.
Now, on to those links:
- Chip Cosby writes that the Cats have yet to see the great Ricky Lumpkin
- Cosby reports that the cornerbacks, particularly freshman Jerrell Priester, are catching Joker Phillips' eye
- Cosby also writes that the Cats are in great shape heading into camp thanks to Oliver
- Mister Cobble took the blame for not becoming eligible, according to Cosby
- John Clay writes that the quarterbacks who are battling for the starting spot are brothers, not rivals
- Brett Dawson writes on YouTube sensation Mychal Bailey, who is bringing big hits to the Cats
- Dawson on UK drawing approximately 6,000 fans for Saturday's Fan Day
- Dawson also weighs in on the quarterback battle
The Cats' Pause
- TCP has video highlights from Saturday's open practices
- Matt May writes that the UK staff is dumping the playbook on the newest Cats
- Phillips was pleased with the first full day of camp, according to May
- Larry Vaught asks how a quarterback wins the starting job
- Vaught reports that Donte Rumph will not let Phillips down for the support he gave him
Also, a bonus story on former Wildcat John Conner. Jenny Vrentas from The Star-Ledger writes that the New York Jets have a "thumper" in John Conner