Every Tuesday, UK Athletics recognizes outstanding performances for our student-athletes. These are the honorees for the week ending Sunday, Feb. 14:
Softball: Chanda Bell
Has nearly twice as many strikeouts collectively than any other pitcher in the league as she recorded two games with 13 or more strikeouts - including a 14 strikeout performance in an upset of No. 5 Arizona State. Tossed the first shutout of the season with a 2-0 win over Cal State Fullerton. Allowed just six hits in her first two starts, before facing a potent Cal attack.
Softball: Brittany Cervantes
Had two home runs against Western Michigan, which is a career-high for a single game. She is also the first UK player ot hit two long balls in a game since Brooke Marnitz in 2006. Led the team and the SEC for the weekend with three home runs while batting .429 in a 3-2 week for UK. Played catcher and third base for UK this weekend.
Softball: Kara Dill
Was the lone UK freshman to earn a start this weekend when she scratched the starting lineup in a win over Western Michigan playing third base. Went 2-for-3 in that outing with a pair of singles and a stolen base. Also swiped a bag against Cal in a pinch-running effort. Went .333 in her first collegiate action.
Gymnastics: Emily Green
Senior Emily Green posted UK's best individual score on any event, recording a 9.900 on the floor exercise to win title honors. It marked her second-best floor exercise score of the season. Green nailed a 9.950 effort to take first place at home against Florida on Jan. 22, a score that was tied for first in the SEC entering the week. She owns three floor titles in her career ... Green tied for second on the vault with a season-high 9.875 score.
Women's basketball: A'dia Mathies
- Freshman guard A'dia Mathies averaged 14.0 points, 4.0 rebounds and 3.0 steals per game in UK's two games last week.
- Helped UK defeat No. 19/18 Georgia in Memorial for the first time since 1999 and chart its school-record-tying ninth SEC win by scoring a game-high-tying 15 points on 7-of-15 shooting.
- Also recorded a game-high five assists, four rebounds and a game-best three steals in the win.
- One of just two players to score in double-figures in UK's loss at Vanderbilt. She scored 13 points on 4-of-8 shooting and also shared team-high honors in steals with three.
- Has scored in double figures in seven of 12 SEC games, including five in a row.
Men's basketball: John Wall
Wall, a 6-4 guard from Raleigh, N.C., averaged 23.0 points, 7.0 rebounds and 2.5 assists in wins over Alabama and No. 12 Tennessee. He recorded his third double-double of the season with 22 points and 10 rebounds against Alabama. It was the first time this season he had recorded a double-double with points and rebounds. Wall became the first Wildcat in school history to record double-doubles in points and rebounds and points and assists. He followed that effort with a 24-point outing against Tennessee, his most points in an SEC game